Welcome to our ‘Conversation Starter’ series, that aims to introduce you to more business owners around you, and to help get to know each other better.
Through these questions, we want to learn more about you. Not just your challenges and what you’ve experienced along your entrepreneurial journey, but the person that you are, beyond your business…about what makes you, you!
We realize that work does not always define us and things may not be what they seem. Often, we tend to work with people we know and trust. Most work partnerships fail because people hold back and don’t openly speak about what they want, and think.
As business owners, we have to show up and make ourselves known, if we want our business to grow. For some people, it is easy. For others, the idea of networking and social gatherings is not something they look forward to. In a world where people ask you right away, ‘What do you do’, what if it were more about who you are and what your story is?
How fun would it be to first encounter people without knowing what they do? Just meeting them and finding out what you may have in common and what you can learn from each other. Work and business opportunities could come second, naturally.
Here are a series of icebreaker questions answered by the people that inspire us. We believe the answers to these questions can help start conversations in a different way.
1. As business owners, we’re constantly networking and meeting new people. Let’s say you’ve just met someone for the first time. What’s the first thing you’d like to know about them?
I’m always curious about people, how they started their business and what drives them.
2. We know you’re super busy – as all business owners are, no doubt – but when you’ve had the time to squeeze in some TV-watching, what’s the last thing you watched? What made you choose that particular show?
I watched The Crown on Netflix. I love that series even though the earlier ones were better. 🙂
3. Before you decided to go solo and be your own boss, you must’ve worked for someone else. What advice would you give your previous manager?
I actually had the best boss so I would tell her to just keep being herself. 🙂
4. A koala bear jumps in through your window, and he’s looking at you. Why is he here? And what does he say to you?
Haha, I would love for this to happen! Would he say, “G’day, mate?” Many years ago when visiting Sydney, I thought I’d encountered live koalas just to find out several years later that they were made of plastic. 🙂
5. A resume can only tell you so much about someone. Often, the most interesting things about that person can’t be learned from those pages. What do you think is the most interesting thing about you, that your resume wouldn’t tell us?
Oh, this is a tricky one since most often we don’t think we are that interesting, do we? When I talk to my friends in Sweden, they admire that we took the plunge and left for Singapore 13 years ago and that I started my photography business here.
6. What gets you out of bed every Monday? What is it that excites you, or is meaningful to you?
I LOVE Mondays! I love running my own business and watching it grow – and growing with it. Meeting new people, learning marketing skills and creating gorgeous memories for my clients makes it easy to jump out of bed on Mondays. 🙂
7. We’ve all got different talents and skills. It’s what makes us unique. What do you think you’re amazing at? And what are the things you’re not-quite-the-best at?
I think I am pretty good at keeping a positive mind even if things look far from it, and I am a finisher. If I take something on, I want to do a good job and finish it fast, but with quality. I think I need to practice my patience skills, I want things to happen NOW! 🙂
8. Building a great team takes time. It’s not easy to find the right fit – like, the people who share the same work values, have the same vision for your business and have a sense of humor. If you were granted a wish to hire any 5 people – people you know, celebrities…anyone – whom would you bring into your team?
Very interesting question! I honestly don’t have any gurus or mentors so rather than people I need, I would look at what would benefit me as a person and a business owner.
9. If you woke up one morning and found yourself on a deserted island, which three things would you want to have with you? Why?
Water. I can’t even leave my home without a bottle so this is a given.
And a knife to open coconuts. 🙂
10. Inspiration can come from anywhere…a picture, a bike ride, the lyrics of a song, a pet, or even a gorgeous sunset. But people have the power to inspire us like none other! There is always someone we look up to, someone we admire. Who has inspired you in your life, and in what way?
I get inspired by every entrepreneur that takes the leap of faith and just goes for it. It’s hard work and there are many sleepless nights. It’s like they say “work with what you love and you never work a day in your life,” right?
11. What’s your spirit animal? If you haven’t ever given it a thought, the time is right now!
I’m a tiger. I put emphasis on raw feelings and emotions. I enjoy dealing with life spontaneously and I’m always on the go.
12. What characteristics do you admire the most in a person?
Honesty and humour.
13. Is there something that you’ve always wanted to do but were afraid to try? What’s stopping you from doing it?
I’m not a daredevil by any means or a kick-seeker. I have a few things on my bucket list, like going to Svalbard, a safari in Africa, helping hatched turtles to the sea. But jumping out from an airplane? Nope.
14. We’ve all been impressed by someone’s skills and wished we could have them too! If you could have a new skill at the snap of your fingers, what would it be?
I would like to be awesome at marketing. 🙂
15. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
Waking up at my summer house in the Stockholm archipelago on a summer day, eating my breakfast on the veranda followed by a walk with the dogs to the lake. All our children visiting and having lunch and enjoying the calmness.
About Gunilla Lindgren
I’m the photographer and owner of Sugarlight Photography. Originally from Sweden but I’ve lived in Singapore for the past 13 years. I specialize in fun, fresh and laid back portraits and am one of Singapore’s most sought after photographers for family photography, maternity photography, and newborn photography.
Now that you know a little more about Gunilla Lindgren online, you could make things more interesting by connecting offline!